Knee bursitis can develop slowly over time or happen suddenly after an injury. In New York City, bursitis knee treatment effectively helps you beat back the pain and get back to your normal lifestyle. Knee bursitis treatment usually requires a long period of rest, though. So, don’t wait; let your sports medicine and pain management doctor provide your treatment for knee bursitis. Come to our sports injury clinic to get your knee pain evaluation and appropriate treatment from one of the best sports injury specialists in NYC.
The pain, swelling and tenderness caused by knee bursitis can be pretty intense. The condition involves swelling or damage to the bursa, a sac filled with fluid that reduces the friction between the tissues in your knees. In other words, a bursa sac acts as a cushion between the moving parts. Your knee has three major bursae, any of which can become inflamed and painful. But the knee bursa most likely in need of knee bursitis treatment is the one directly over your knee cap or on the inside of your knee below the joint.
Knee bursitis in Manhattan can drastically limit your mobility and your lifestyle. Managing this type of pain is difficult and potentially frustrating. But it’s not impossible. Consulting your New York City sports injury and pain management team can make a major difference in your quality of life as you go through treatment for knee bursitis.
Not an Uncommon Condition
Overuse and injury are the leading causes of knee bursitis. And your chances of suffering from this condition increase if you’re an athlete or were an athlete at some in some point in your life. The most common causes of the need for bursitis knee treatment include:
- Being subjected to recurring or frequent pressure — like having to constantly stand or kneel on hard surfaces for extended periods of time
- Strenuous activities that are hard on your knee
- Trauma to your knee
- Bacterial infection in your bursa
- Possible complications from: Osteoarthritis, Gout in your knee, Obesity
Bursitis is a common complaint with a variety of causes. But a skilled sports medicine doctor can isolate the cause of your troubles. Knowing the source of your condition enables him to fine-tune your knee bursitis treatment plan.
It’s sometimes hard to believe doing nothing at all constitutes taking action. But resting your knee is the first and most important step in bursitis knee treatment. If you’re dealing with minor inflammation of your bursa, with your NYC doctor’s guidance, you should:
- Take it easy for a while. Don’t do anything to aggravate your condition.
- Put ice on your knee in 20-minute increments throughout the day to reduce swelling and ease your pain.
- Elevate your knee above your heart to relieve pressure and swelling.
- Lay on your side that’s not injured.
- Sleep with a pillow between your knees to lessen the pressure on your sore joint.
- Take over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medications for minor pain and inflammation.
More Knee Bursitis Treatments
If rest doesn’t improve your condition, there are other options for bursitis knee treatment. Your doctor may recommend:
- Aspiration, where your physician uses a needle to drain fluid out of your knee. This isn’t the traumatic procedure it once was. As an outpatient treatment, there’s no need to go to the hospital. Afterward, wrapping your knee helps with swelling, but soreness should be expected for a few days following this knee bursitis treatment.
- Steroid injections are administered by your doctor directly into your knee. This normally has a significant impact on any pain or swelling you’re experiencing. The steroids are a fast-working treatment for knee bursitis. However, swelling and tenderness at the injection site may last a couple days.
- Physical therapy is a vital part of any bursitis knee treatment. Stretching and strength training make your knee stronger and more flexible. A knee brace or a sleeve may also be used for support and compression.
- Antibiotics are prescribed by your physician when infection is present.
- Surgery is always the last resort for your knee bursitis treatment. If your swollen bursa fails to respond to other treatments, your Manhattan pain management doctor may find that removal of the bursa is necessary. The procedure is a lot less invasive than you may think, but to achieve the best results and recovery, you need to stay off of your feet for several days. This promotes proper healing by preventing your wound from bleeding into where your bursa used to be.
Following Your Treatment for Bursitis
Being aware of any factors that put you at higher risk is tremendously important because there may be things you can do prevent the condition from coming back. Even simple steps can make a difference:
- Wear knee pads
- Take breaks to stretch your legs and rest your knees
- Avoid squatting as much as you can
- Maintain a healthy weight
Seeking a qualified medical opinion in New York City makes a major difference. Waiting can allow your condition to worsen. Together, you and your doctor develop the individualized treatment for knee bursitis plan that best fits your condition.
Do you have any questions about the knee bursitis treatment we offer in NYC? Would you like to schedule an appointment with the best rated knee pain doctor Febin Melepura MD of NYC sports pain clinic? Please contact our office for consultation with the top pain relief specialist in Midtown Manhattan.