A shoulder injury can put you out of the game while you seek shoulder injury treatment. Your Midtown Manhattan sports medicine doctor treats common shoulder injuries and shoulder instability on a regular basis. He’s the best source for successful shoulder injuries treatment. Shoulder tendon injury treatment and shoulder instability treatment is designed to get you back in action quickly and safely. Come to our sports injury clinic in NYC and make your appointment today to get an accurate pain evaluation and treatment.
Sore muscles or aches in your shoulders plague nearly everyone. The shoulder joint has the greatest range of motion of any joint in your body, and that makes it susceptible to injury or overuse. Problems such as wear and tear or the natural process of aging also create discomfort and lack of mobility.
Your shoulder is a ball-and-socket joint with three main bones: the humerus or upper arm bone, the clavicle or collarbone and the scapula or shoulder blade. Ligaments, tendons and muscles hold these bones together. The bones and soft tissue also protect the large nerve bundles running from your neck down into your arms.
Each element of this complex joint has the potential for injury. And if one part fails, for whatever reason, you may end up with shoulder instability. Then you need the expertise of your Midtown Manhattan pain management and sports medicine doctor.
Causes of Shoulder Injury
Shoulder injury can result from an acute injury, from overuse injuries or from other related causes. Even poor habits contribute to the possibility of injury or shoulder instability. Acute injuries include:
- Falling on an outstretched arm
- A direct blow to your shoulder
- Abnormal twisting or bending
- Sports or recreational injuries
- Injury to the ligaments, resulting in a sprain
- Injury to the nerves of your shoulder
- Separation or dislocation of the shoulder joint
- Torn rotator cuff
Overuse injuries consist of:
- Too much stress placed on the joint by overdoing an activity or by repetitive motion
- Frozen shoulder
- Impingement syndrome
Other causes include:
Symptoms of Common Shoulder Injuries
Symptoms of shoulder instability and shoulder injury vary widely in severity, depending on the cause. Common symptoms include:
- Changes in temperature and color of your arms or hands
- Changes in range of motion
Diagnosis of Common Shoulder Injuries
Your New York City pain care specialist begins diagnosis with a complete medical history, including any traumas or injuries, especially recently. He conducts a thorough physical exam of your shoulder, testing for tenderness, numbness and weakness.
Your doctor may also order imaging tests such as x-rays, ultrasound, computed topography or magnetic resonance imagery (MRI). These pinpoint whether bones, discs or soft tissue such as ligaments or tendons are causing your pain.
Shoulder Injury Treatment
Treatment depends on the cause and severity of your pain and injury, but your pain specialist often suggests some combination of the following:
- Rest and restricted movement, the first step for shoulder injuries treatment
- Ice in the first few days to reduce inflammation and then heat afterwards to stretch muscles and increase blood flow, which helps with pain
- Keeping your shoulder and arms or hands slightly elevated on pillows to reduce swelling
- Physical therapy for shoulder instability treatment, including stretching and strengthening exercises, to stabilize damaged soft tissue
- Over-the-counter pain relievers such as acetaminophen, ibuprofen and naproxen sodium for the pain
- Prescription painkillers and muscle relaxants, if necessary, for short-term use
- Joint or soft-tissue injections
- Surgery, a more extreme shoulder instability treatment, to remove bone spurs
- Arthroscopic or open tendon repair surgery as a shoulder tendon injury treatment
- Shoulder joint replacement surgery for significant shoulder injuries or debilitating deterioration
Your NYC pain specialist always recommends the most conservative, but effective treatment for shoulder instability and all other shoulder injuries. Surgery is a last resort, due to the risks and extended recovery time. Should you require replacement surgery, recovery can take up to six months, including the accompanying rehabilitative physical therapy.
Prevention and Aftercare for Shoulder Injuries Treatment
Whether you’re trying to prevent shoulder injury or working to take special care after your shoulder injury treatment, some basic habits can be beneficial to alleviate or avoid future pain and shoulder instability issues. These preventative steps include:
- Stay in good health by stretching and doing daily range-of-motion exercises.
- Maintain good posture at all times.
- Warm up before any activity.
- Wear protective gear during sports or recreational activities.
- Always wear your seat belt.
- Don’t carry objects that are too heavy.
- Use a step stool when reaching for objects.
- Use correct lifting techniques.
- Reduce repetitive motion activities.
Your Manhattan sports medicine doctor knows and understands the mechanics of your shoulder. He works to find the best treatments for your shoulder injury. If you follow his guidance, ‘ll get you back to a pain-free, active lifestyle, full of health and with a full range of motion.
Do you have any questions about the shoulder injuries treatment we offer in NYC? Would you like to schedule an appointment with the best rated shoulder pain specialist Dr. Febin Melepura of sports injury clinic in NYC? Please contact our office for consultation with the pain relief specialist in Midtown Manhattan.