Neck muscle spasms may just be a passing irritation, but a serious muscle spasm in the neck can indicate a bigger problem. Treatment in NYC is available from a team of trained sports medicine doctors who’ll find the source of your pain. Myofascial neck pain treatment begins with the least invasive techniques. Come to our NYC sports injury clinic to get your neck pain evaluation and treatment. Meet our neck doctor Febin Melepura M.D. to get the pain relief you need in the safe, reassuring hands of the best sports pain management specialists in NYC.
If you’ve ever experienced a sharp and sudden pain in your neck or had a sensation that one of your neck muscles contracted and just won’t let go, you probably had a muscle spasm in the neck. This can happen in a single area of your neck — or possibly several areas at the same time. The discomfort ranges from passing discomfort to shocking pain.
The sudden pain caused by neck muscle spasms can happen deep in your muscle and cause it to feel tight or frozen. You usually have to stop and take time to massage or manipulate the muscle to find some relief. Your Midtown Manhattan sports and pain doctor offers a range of options for muscle spasms in neck treatment.
The Usual Suspects
Neck muscle spasms can happen at any time and in any neck muscle. But they’re more common for people who do both manual labor and office work because both jobs put stress and strain on your neck. Among the many potential causes for muscle spasms in the neck, the more common ones include:
- Carrying an especially unbalanced load on your shoulder
- Carrying an awkward load in one or both arms
- Subjecting your neck to unnatural positions for extended periods of time — like sleeping in a bad position or holding your phone between your shoulder and ear
- Letting emotional stress collect in your neck muscles, causing tension
- Suffering from degenerative conditions of your spine, such as cervical spondylosis
- Putting excessive strain on your neck during long periods of work or exercise
- Suffering from migraines or tension headaches
- Slouching or practicing poor posture
- Sitting for hours at a desk or computer
- Not hydrating properly
- Having myofascial neck pain caused by a trigger point area of taut muscle fibers
Less common reasons for neck muscle spasms treatment can be more serious. These causes include:
- Certain serious infections like meningitis
- An inflammatory condition called ankylosing spondylitis
- Torticollis, also called cervical dystonia
- A narrowing of your spine’s open space called spinal stenosis
- Temporomandibular joint disorders (TMJ or TMD) that affect your jaw and the muscles that surround it
- Whiplash or trauma from accidents or falls
- Pressure caused by a herniated disc
Not to be Taken Lightly
Neck muscle spasm treatment is a matter to be taken seriously. Some causes of muscle spasm in the neck are much more serious than others. If your symptoms get worse or last longer than a week, contact your New York City medical professional immediately.
If you’re experiencing any of the following in addition to your muscle spasms, seek emergency medical attention. These can be warning signs of meningitis that you can’t afford to ignore. They include:
- Chills or fever
- Stiff neck
- Skin discolorations that resemble bruises
Neck Muscle Spasm Treatment
Being mindful of your body and its physical limitations is always a great place to start. Keeping your body properly hydrated and taking breaks from your work or exercise to stretch and move can prevent a muscle spasm in the neck. Myofascial neck pain is positively affected by stretching because it helps to keep the bands of muscle loose.
Depending on the nature of your neck muscle spasms, further medical attention may be necessary. Muscle spasm in neck treatment is custom-fit to your needs. Neck muscle spasm treatment can require medication if the actual muscle has been injured or compromised.
Neck spasms can be signs of more serious issues. If you fail to seek treatment, permeant damage or complications can result. See your Midtown Manhattan sports and pain medicine doctor so he can determine the cause of your neck muscle spasms and begin neck muscle spasms treatment as soon as possible. Complications from inaction can include:
- Compromised mobility and flexibility
- Permanent nerve damage
- Chronic pain
- Pain, weakness and loss of proper function
Choosing Your Allies
Your NYC medical professional is your best line of defense against the lasting damage muscle spasms can inflict on your body. Pain from muscle spasms in your neck can last minutes or weeks, so don’t wait for the pain to go away on its own.
Be mindful of stress, overuse, and your posture. But in severe cases when simple rest isn’t enough, discovering the underlying causes of your spasms can mean the difference between passing discomfort and lifelong infirmity. Ignoring your pain only serves to make matters worse. Listen to what your body is trying to tell you.
Do you have any questions about the muscle spasms in the neck treatment we offer in NYC? Would you like to schedule an appointment with the best rated neck pain management doctor Febin Melepura MD of sports injury clinic in New York? Please contact our office for consultation with the pain relief specialist in Midtown Manhattan.