A pulled muscle in the back can certainly sideline you. A pulled back muscle anywhere, but especially a pulled muscle in the lower back, causes discomfort and the need for appropriate treatment. Most often, though, the best pulled lower back muscle treatment just requires rest. See your NYC sports injury and pain specialist for a complete exam and instructions for the best treatment for a pulled back muscle today.
Back pain is one of the most common reasons for visits to a doctor in New York City. And one of the most common reasons for back pain is a pulled back muscle. Dealing with a pulled muscle in your back hampers multiple areas of your life. The overstretched or torn muscle can deliver just a slight twinge or severe pain.
Your Midtown Manhattan pain doctor specializes in helping you discover how to treat a pulled muscle in the lower back. He considers your lifestyle, range of motion and many other factors in helping you return to your previous injury-free life. He also educates you to prevent this type of injury from recurring.
Causes of a Pulled Back Muscle
Pulled back muscles usually occur due to some type of injury. Your body is stressed or unable to perform a certain movement, and the muscle can’t handle the workload. The injury can be due to:
- Overuse of the muscle
- Overloading the muscle
- Sports injury including back or neck injury
- Weak muscles
- Poor lifting techniques
- Unexpected twisting
- Repetitive motion, which can take weeks or months to develop, even if the demand on your muscles is low
- Remaining in a static position for long periods, which causes back and neck problems as muscles become fatigued and strained
- Lifting or working when fatigued
- Poor posture
Injury results in inflammation. And while inflammation is a normal part of the healing process, the swollen tissue is tender and can press on nearby nerves. If the injury occurs from an overuse action, such as raking the yard, shoveling the driveway or throwing a ball, the injury usually heals relatively quickly with rest. If not allowed to rest, chronic problems set in.
Symptoms of a Pulled Muscle in the Back
Strain from overuse and overextension usually occurs in your lower back, especially if any kind of twisting motion is involved. A pulled muscle in the lower back results in pain, inflammation, muscle weakness, back muscle spasms and stiff muscles that are trying to prevent further injury.
Depending on the severity of the strain, swelling and bruising, along with the inability to move certain ways, may also occur. The recovery time for healing depends on the severity of the sprain and adherence to your pulled back muscle treatment. Six to eight weeks of rest and other therapies may be needed.
When to See Your Manhattan Pain Specialist
Most back strains and pulled back muscles resolve themselves with time and rest. There are instances, however, when medical treatment is necessary. Make an appointment with your doctor if:
- A clicking or popping noise occurred at the time of injury
- Your pain is greater than average
- Your pain doesn’t respond to over-the-counter pain relievers
- There is significant swelling and/or bruising at the site of injury
- You have any fever present
- There is an open wound at the site of the injury
- Normal home remedies don’t provide relief after 48 to 72 hours
When you come in for an office visit, your NYC sports and pain specialist gives you a thorough exam and asks about your medical history, including any recent accidents. Once he reaches a diagnosis, he may suggest some additional treatments for your pulled back muscles.
Pulled Lower Back Muscle Treatment
Most treatments for pulled back muscles focus on symptom management and support for your back as it heals. Compliance with your doctor’s recommended treatment encourages quicker healing and a greater chance of complete recovery. Treatments include:
- Rest, but not for too long
- Cold therapy applied for 15 to 20 minutes every four hours for the first few days
- Compression with wraps
- Keeping muscles elevated with your head propped up when resting
- Gentle stretching
- Gradual strengthening exercises
- Prescription pain relievers
- Massage or hydrotherapy
- Light chiropractic manipulation
- After inflammation is reduced, heat therapy
- Reducing stress
- Better posture techniques
- Activity modification
- Warming up before any physical activity
- Being patient
Your New York City pain specialist may recommend several of these therapies at once to encourage relaxed and healed muscles. Following your doctor’s advice encourages the treatment for a pulled back muscle to be successful.
Prevention Is the Best Course
Anyone can overdo an exercise routine or other activity. But to avoid the need for later pulled lower back muscle treatment, follow these suggestions:
- Find good core strengthening exercises.
- Develop and adhere to proper posture.
- Incorporate proper lifting techniques.
- Continue healthy stretching and strengthening back exercises.
Your pain specialist in NYC helps determine which pulled lower back muscle treatment best heals your pulled muscle in the back. Moving forward, prevention of future injury helps keep your life pain-free and healthy.
Do you have any questions about the pulled back muscle pain treatment we offer in NYC? Would you like to schedule an appointment with the best rated pulled back pain management doctor Febin Melepura MD of sports injury center in NYC? Please contact our office for consultation with the top pain relief specialist in Midtown Manhattan.