If you’re experiencing mid-back pain get the back pain relief you need to return to your normal routine. A number of modalities can be used to treat your middle back pain including epidural steroid, nerve block, spine facet injections as well as a groundbreaking stem cell therapy. Come to our sports injury clinic in NYC to get your back pain evaluated. Meet our back pain doctor Febin Melepura M.D. who is among the best back pain specialists in NYC.
Your middle back is considered anywhere between your shoulder blades down to the bottom of your rib cage. If you feel pain above this area, it’s upper back pain, and if the pain is lower, it’s lower back pain. Mid-back pain often hurts with movement, limiting your flexibility.
There are many reasons for mid-back pain right side and mid-back pain left side. But if you’re suffering, you need to seek middle back pain treatment so you can breathe easy again. Visit a sports medicine back pain specialist to get the best care, including an accurate diagnosis and effective treatment.
Diagnosing the Causes of Middle Back Pain
Since pain in your middle back can signal a variety of ailments, including injuries and diseases, you need to see a physician to determine the cause of the pain.
To get to the bottom of the source of your pain, your Midtown Manhattan doctor:
- Conducts a thorough physical examination
- Asks about your medical history, including any recent accidents
- May order an X-ray, CT scan or MRI
Your pain specialist’s goal is to find the exact reason you’re in pain. The cause may be muscular, skeletal or nerve-related. An accurate diagnosis points your doctor to the most effective mid-back pain treatment. The possible causes of your pain include:
- A pulled muscle, which causes other structures in your back to overcompensate
- A muscle or ligament sprain in your back, which can be caused when you try to lift something the wrong way
- Arthritis, which often attacks the cartilage of your joints, including the joints of your spine
- Osteoarthritis or facet joint syndrome, which makes it hard to bend without pain
- Osteoporosis, which reduces the density of your bones, usually in people older than 40
- An injury to your spine or ribs that causes immediate pain
- A herniated disc in the middle part of your back
- Spinal stenosis, which squeezes your spinal cord, although this ailment is more common in your upper or lower back
Symptoms of Mid-Back Pain
Your symptoms from mid-back pain right side or mid-back pain left side almost always involves pain and tightness. The pain can emanate from anywhere in the middle of your back or sides, which may:
- Shoot up to your neck or around your ribs
- Come and go, depending on your movement
- Hurt more when you breathe deeply, cough or sneeze
You likely feel stiff as well. Because of the pain, you may not want to twist, turn or bend. All the movements you used to take for granted now cause pain. If the pain isn’t severe, you can try rest and stretching, but more often, you’ll have to seek mid-back pain treatment to cure the underlying issue that’s causing your pain.
Middle Back Pain Treatment
To provide relief, your New York City pain specialist may start you out on pain medication. If over-the-counter medicine – such as common non-steroidal, anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) – haven’t worked, your Manhattan physician may have you try stronger treatments, such as:
- Prescription ointments that you apply topically
- Muscle relaxants that are prescription-strength
- Injections that contain a corticosteroid anti-inflammatory medicine, as well as a local anesthetic, including:
The steroid injections kill your pain while working to calm the inflamed area in your spine. Unless the inflammation is the sole cause of your pain, these injections are effective for just two or three months. You can repeat the procedure, but these injections can’t be a long-term solution, as repeated steroid injections are ultimately detrimental to your health.
Managing Your Mid-Back Pain
You have two choices for middle back pain treatment:
- You can manage your pain while you adjust your lifestyle to fit your new reality.
- You can deal with the cause of the pain to stop the pain at its source.
Pain management involves not only medication and injections, but also stretching, exercise and physical therapy. All deliver results in reducing pain. Curing the source of your pain may possibly involve surgery. Back surgery, like all surgeries, carries risks, however. Which mid-back pain relief method you choose is up to you and your physician.
Do you have any questions about the middle back pain treatment we offer in NYC? Would you like to schedule an appointment with the best rated middle back doctor Febin Melepura MD of sports pain management clinic in NYC? Please contact our office for consultation with the top pain relief specialist in Midtown Manhattan.